The organisation was established on the 1st January 2012 after the contraction of the Metropolitan Fire Department, Directorate of the Civil Defence and the Hungarian Airport Directorate of Disaster Recovery. It is an individually operating and financially independent regional organization of the Ministry of Home Affairs. It is the main authority in cases written in referential law that specifies its tasks. It directs the professional fire fighter units and disaster relief offices.
In case of a disaster or hazard of disaster Anticipation, prevention of impacts on life and elementary material goods, as well as the decrease and windup of its consequences, execution of the rescue and coordination of the regional planning, organization, verification, control and accomplishment.
Prominently important public security task is to protect the life and material safety of the county’s inhabitants, and the protection of the secure operation of the national economy and critical infrastructure elements.
In order to fulfill the designated functions:
- The regional office of the professional disaster relief organization conduct the control of the local governmental fire fighter units, it verifies and evaluates the facility and the volunteered fire fighter units.
- It controls the volunteered and mandatory civilian defence organizations.
- It has the authorised competence of industrial security, fire safety and civilian defence: prescribes, approves, prohibits, restricts, inspects, and take sanctions. In order to prevent disasters, it coordinates the action of oher authorities.
- It controls and fully supervises the local fire safety system; its regional professional fire fighter units conduct the fire fighting, the technical rescue, and the protection of the civilian population, information and alarm.
- It controls the local governmental, facility fire fighter units and involved volunteered fire fighter units contribution int he fire fighting and the technical rescue tasks.
- It organizes financial investment and real estate management.
- It maintains the local training bases.
- It operates modern communication, mission-control, informatics systems and measure, sensor and alarm system covering the overall area of the country.
- It cooperates with the Police, the Hungarian Defence Forces, the local governments, and all other security providing authorities.
- It has contacts with civilian and caritative organizations, their association, institution of educations and the Hungarian media.
The Teritorial Department Units of the Metropolitan Directorate of Disaster of Disaster Recovery are:
North-Buda Sub- Office (SO) District I;II;III;XII
South-Buda SO District XI; XXI., XXII.
North-Pest SO District IV., XIII., XIV., XV., XVI
Central-Pest SO District V., VI. VII., VIII., IX., X.
South-Pest SO District XVII., XVIII., XIX., XX., XXIII